Red Earth Announces new Emerging Artist Award
The Red Earth Board of Directors has unanimously approved the inaugural Red Earth Emerging Artist Award, an annual award that will grant funding to emerging Native American artists to participate in Oklahoma City's Red Earth Festival.
Two Awards will be presented for the 2018 event. The Emerging Artist Award provides booth space at the Red Earth Art Market, an opportunity to compete in the Red Earth Festival art competition and $150 for expenses.
Applicants are not required to be enrolled in a school or fine arts program. To qualify, applicants must be a US Citizen, at least 18 years old and be able to provide proof of tribal membership in a federal or state-recognized tribal entity.
- Submit proof of Tribal Membership
- Complete Red Earth Artist Application
- Provide five (5) images of artwork with application
- Submit a one-page resume of art education, experience and achievements, if any
- Submit a 300-word essay describing:
- Visual arts background, opportunities, mediums worked in, or other;
- Experiences, relationships or artists that have influenced your artistic development;
- Personal art goals (may include education, mentoring, new media, etc.
Things to Know
- Applicants must have earned less than $5,000 in previous art sales
- Exhibited in no more than five (5) non-academic galleries or exhibits
- Artists working in most mediums will be considered; items created with toxic or dangerous materials are prohibited
- Artist must own the copyright to all artworks submitted
- All artworks must be handmade and not commercially produced or manufactured. Products made from commercially-produced kits or patterns are prohibited
- Artists may not compete with, display or sell any items that contain materials derived from animals which are considered endangered or might otherwise be considered in violation of Federal or Oklahoma state laws
- If selected, the artist must agree to be present at their booth during the official hours of the Festival,
- Selected artists may display or sell original works created by the registered artist who occupies the booth, and of no other artist
Deadline, May 7, 2018